Studies show that a food journal helps contestants lose weight and achieve their fitness goals. As an experienced pageant coach, I can tell you that every contestant wants to get a top fitness score. And the best way to achieve that goal is to use a food journal. A food journal reminds you of your nutrition goals and helps you stick to a nutritionally balanced eating plan. Plus, thanks to smartphones, it’s easier than ever to keep a food journal, no matter where your day takes you. Here are my top picks for food journaling apps.
1. MyFitnessPal: This is easily the number one food journal app preferred by pageant contestant fitness winners. MyFitnessPal will calculate your daily calorie and nutrition targets based on your current weight, weight loss goals, and physical activity. The app comes pre-loaded with a food database containing over two million items. It also includes an option to scan in food using a barcode and remembers your favorite foods, meals, and recipes. Because it’s easy to track calories, nutrition (carbs, protein, fat) and workouts at a detailed level, MyFitnessPal is the #1 preferred app of pageant contestants everywhere.
2. Calorific: If you find yourself overwhelmed by the idea of counting calories, then this is the app for you. Calorific divides food into three different categories (red, yellow, and green) and then into portion sizes for easy tracking. The app uses your data to create a pie chart showing the healthy to unhealthy ratio of your food choices. It also identified the time of the day that you make the best nutrition choices. Quick and easy, this is a great app for someone who wants to stay on track but doesn’t need highly detailed information.
3. Lose It!: Set your weight loss goal and Lose It! This app has an easy-to-use tool for tracking everything you eat and do. You can scan barcodes, set challenges for yourself, share information with friends and connect your account to workout devices and apps such as pedometers and wireless scales. High tech food journaling has never been so easy!
4. My Food Diary: My Food Diary takes a holistic approach to reaching your fitness goals. There are seven different ways to log your food, it includes an 80,000 item database, and you can share your account with a friend or family member to swap recipes. The app offers daily color-coded reports and you can compile your own personalized reports and graphs to help you achieve your fitness goals.
5. MyPlate by Livestrong: With a free membership, you can track your calories over time, make entries in your online food diary, and get calorie and exercise breakdowns. You can also search the database of over 625,000 foods and 1,500 fitness items to track your daily caloric intake and burn. Gold members get a daily nutrition chart and a week-at-a-glance view as well as set custom nutrient goals.
So take advantage of technology and snap up one of these easy to use apps. Your best fitness score may only be a click away!miss america, Miss America's Outstanding Teen, Miss Teen USA, Miss USA, National American Miss, pageant coach, pageant coaches, pageant coaching, pageant interview, pageant interview coach, pageant interview questions, pageant questions, the pageant coach, Valerie Hayes